What is AS/400?
AS/400 is an IBM equipment classified as medium / high range focused on the business environment. Its OS/400 operating system includes multi-user support and a proprietary relational database.
Do you have an IBM AS/400 and want to sell online? Get to know Conecta HUB and sell online as another channel.
Origins and evolution of AS/400
In its beginnings, the equipment was called AS/400 and, in its later versions, it came to be called iSeries, System i, Power Systems until today, known as IBM i. It emerged as a revolutionary and promising architecture that offered a large number of software solutions from its origin. In addition, it was introduced as a replacement for another machine called IBM System/38, which meant that both featured the same type of architecture.
AS/400 features and functionalities
Some of its many features and functionalities are listed below:
- Its architecture is composed of a very complex integrated system, including software, hardware, security, database and other components. It is a highly adaptable architecture that allows the incorporation with other more current systems, which, is one of the most important characteristics due to the great daily changes in the technological world.
- It includes an integrated file system (IFS) and an integrated database which is called DB2/400. This relational type database is part of the operating system and is used to store application and user data as well as to store the library system.
- The user interface is controlled via CL (Control Language) commands and menus.
- It supports GNU/Linux, AIX or even Windows through an integrated board.
Reasons to use AS/400
AS/400 has remained one of the most popular platforms for several reasons:
- It's scalable. Companies can start using cheaper versions such as 4-core and when needed, use versions with a higher number of cores.
- It's safe. The platform presents a good level of security when it is configured correctly.
- It's a match. It was thought and designed from the beginning to be highly compatible with other future platforms.
- It's modern. The platform supports a large number of currently used languages such as C++, PHP or Java.
Today, the platform continues to evolve and is one of the most used by large companies due to its robustness.